During the years from 1921 to 1939 the theory in Electrical Engineering was represented by Prof. Dr. Fritz Emde, a well-known mathematician. Most of the theoretical problems at that time came from the area of electromagnetic fields and their application in electrical generators and motors. 1939 Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. W. Bader was appointed as successor of Emde.
Wilhelm Bader added to the Field Theory the area of Network Theory and in particular Synthesis of Electrical Networks. The objective of network synthesis is to find a realizable electrical network from given requirements using mathematical methods. In this area Bader found a solution with synthesis of electrical filters, which is used in electrical transmission systems for separation of information generally transmitted in parallel. Wilhelm Bader was not only a pioneer of synthesis methods, but also an enthusiastic and inspiring academic teacher. From 1955 to 1957 he acted as principal of the University. After his retirement the teaching and research areas were divided into two institutes. 1972 Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Günther Lehner took over the area of Field Theory in the pertaining Institute of Theorie der Elektrotechnik, while Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. E. Lüder from 1971 onward continued work in the area of electrical networks.
Ernst Lüder included System Theory into the teaching and research activities, describing with mathematical methods the time and frequency-dependent performance of linear systems. This theory developed from the electrical communications engineering, especially by K. Küpfmüller, and is being applied more and more in other physical systems. In Synthesis Prof. Lüder introduced modern alternatives for the realization of networks by miniaturized circuits. In 1971 a laboratory for thick- and thin-film technology was established for the production of such circuits. From 1972 onward also sensors in thick film technology were produced. Since 1978 thin film transistors on glass substrates were fabricated for addressing pixels on flat liquid crystal displays. Considering the importance of such displays for the economy of an industrial country the Ministry of Research and Technology (BMFT) decided to establish a Laboratory for Flat Panel Display Technology. This laboratory started operation in 1989 as part of the Institute of Network- and System's Theory. After the retirement of Prof. Lüder in 1999, the Institute of Network- and System's Theory was renamed Institute for System Theory and Display Technology and was divided into two chairs. Prof. Dr.-Ing. Frühauf took over the new Chair of Display Technology, while Prof. Dr.-Ing. Bin Yang is leading the Chair of System Theory and Signal Processing since October 2001.
Im Oktober 2011 wurde das Institut für Systemtheorie und Bildschirmtechnik nun aufgelöst. Die beiden Lehrstühle wurden in eigenständige Institute umgewandelt. Der Lehrstuhl für Bildschirmtechnik heißt jetzt Institut für Großflächige Mikroelektronik. Der Lehrstuhl für Systemtheorie und Signalverarbeitung wurde in Institut für Signalverarbeitung und Systemtheorie umbenannt.